Okay, kids. I need your help.
Training for the half-marathon (because I need pre-training training!) has begun in earnest. It’s exactly five months from today, so it’s time to start getting motivated. Of course, it’s hotter than blazes outside and I didn’t go out until 10:30 AM this morning, so after only two miles, I looked like a giant purple beet, but at least I got out there, right?
However, I’m going to need motivation to get through the summer months – did I mention I live in North Carolina and it is rather reminiscent of a sauna in Hell come July and August? Which brings me to my point…musical motivation. I need it. I crave it. I want new stuff.
So, I started piecing together my Summer Running Playlist this morning. Creating a running playlist, like all of my Krissie Mixes, takes forever for me to get right. And I have to have songs that have words – I can’t do all those techno-housey songs that go on forever with just beats. My perfect mix builds up slowly (for pacing purposes), and then gets really rocky and rhythmic in the middle, slows down a bit, and then has a killer finish so I end on a high note. And I’ll admit, I have my favorites that make their way onto every mix – Moby, Luna Halo. And there’s stuff on my running playlists that would probably shock some folks – New Kids on the Block, Pink, totally Top 40 stuff. Hey, if it’s a good running song, it’s a good running song!
But I digress…as of right now, the Summer Running Playlist is only about 45 minutes long, but here’s how we’re looking (and this will be a constantly evolving list!):
1. Probably Nothing – Red Wanting Blue
2. Neon Eyes – Saints of Valory
3. MoneyGrabber – Fitz & The Tantrums (The Gin Mill inspired song! Hear it every time I’m there!)
4. Scale Your Walls – The Enemy Lovers
5. Every Tear Drop Is A Waterfall – Coldplay
6. Shot In the Dark – Augustana
7. Pumped Up Kicks – Foster the People (Shawn Fisher, this is your fault!)
8. Sex U – The Hundred Days (Shelia Taylor recommendation and road tested this morning – awesome to run to!)
9. Animal – Neon Trees
10. Matador – The Soldier Thread
11. Bodyrock – Moby
12. Kings & Queens – Luna Halo
I’d like to get this playlist up to about two hours and twenty minutes worth of serious running music. I’ve got tons, but I need some fresh blood! What are your favorite workout songs? Bring ’em on! Nothing is off limits! Post your recommendations as comments or shoot me an e-mail. Can’t wait to hear what music I should be running to….