We’re down to less than 12 weeks before the Savannah Rock n’ Roll Half-Marathon – time for the serious training to kick in. This will be my fifth half and while running and I will never be besties, I do get a huge sense of accomplishment out of it.
However, I would not be able to run a foot without my trusty little iPod Shuffle and my favorite Philips earbuds (which I fear may die before the half…dang fraying wires). Forget my carb count and food intake, how much water I’ve consumed, or how much sleep I got the night before – the key to my success on long runs is my running playlist. Unlike a lot of runners, I don’t craft my playlists around BPM; I more or less go with songs I love, things that inspire me, that bring back good memories (so that when I’m cursing the hill at mile 8, at least I’m doing it with a smile!).
I like to run to the same playlist so that I know where I should be…you know, when “Pumped Up Kicks” is on, I should be at roughly 3.5 miles. That kind of thing. But, as my training moves along and I figure out where I’m hitting walls and when I’m on cruise control, my playlist evolves to help give me the boosts that I need – or remind me to slow it down. There’s nothing better than hearing Moby’s, “Bodyrock” at mile 9 when I’m flagging and re-finding my groove!
So, as previously promised, I’m posting the updated & revised version of my playlist here. From the search stats on the blog, I’ve figured out that a LOT of people are looking for workout and running playlist songs, so I’m happy to share so that maybe one of you will find something new. I’ve linked every song to its iTunes, Amazon and/or Bandcamp page for quick and easy buying (after all that running, I know, it’s too much effort to have to track down these tunes!). There are even a handful that are available for free download – take advantage of these aritsts’ generosity and pick up some tunes for your running playlist!
Let me know if you have any great additions for me or if you find something new here that’s been a great addition to your playlist!
- Talk to Me (Stevie Nicks Cover) – Lovedrug iTunes | Amazon
- Probably Nothing – Red Wanting Blue iTunes | Amazon
- Atlantic City (Springsteen Cover) – The Hold Steady iTunes | Amazon
- Fortress – Pinback iTunes | Amazon
- Pockets – The Influence Free download
- Non-Dairy Creamer – Third Eye Blind iTunes | Amazon
- Anybody – The Soldier Thread Free download
- Matador – The Soldier Thread Free download
- The Ladder – Margolnick Bandcamp
- Neon Eyes – Saints of Valory Bandcamp | iTunes | Amazon
- Drive All Night – Needtobreathe iTunes | Amazon
- California On My Mind – Wild Light iTunes | Amazon
- Don’t Give Up On Us – Honor By August iTunes | Amazon
- Slipping Away – The Aeroplanes iTunes
- I’m Sorry, But I’m Beginning To Hate Your Face – Eagle Seagull iTunes
- Obey Your Guns – Matrimony Free download
- Always Spring – I’m From Barcelona iTunes | Amazon
- It’s Time – Imagine Dragons iTunes | Amazon
- Uppercut – Stereophonics iTunes | Amazon
- MoneyGrabber – Fitz & the Tantrums iTunes | Amazon
- Scale Your Walls – The Enemy Lovers iTunes | Amazon
- Decade of Deceit – The Influence (free download)
- Trinity – Paper Tongues iTunes | Amazon
- Bodyrock – Moby iTunes
- Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall – Coldplay iTunes | Amazon
- Shot in the Dark – Augustana iTunes | Amazon
- Pumped Up Kicks – Foster the People iTunes | Amazon
- Sex U – The Hundred Days iTunes
- Animal – Neon Trees iTunes | Amazon
- Anna Sun – Walk the Moon iTunes | Amazon
- S.A.T.U.R.D.A.Y. – The Airlines iTunes | Amazon
- Destroyer – Golden State iTunes | Amazon
- Closer to the Edge – 30 Seconds to Mars iTunes | Amazon
- Sun & Shadow – Wideawake iTunes | Amazon
- Kings & Queens – Luna Halo iTunes | Amazon